Hints for filling out the DS-230
The DS-230 Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration can be a little confusing to fill out because it is really designed for adults immigrating to the US. If there are questions that do not apply to a child (name of spouse, names of children, eg.), simply write in "NA" or "Not applicable" in that space. All answers listed here have been verified with the Embassy in Almaty. I have left this on a plain white background in case you want to print it out.
1. Family Name: this is the child's new name.
2. Other Names Used: this is the child's birth name.
3. Full Name in Native Alphabet: ask your facilitator to write the new name in Cyrillic.
7. Nationality: Kazakhstan.
12. Present Occupation: minor.
13. Present Address: address prior to start of travel, in most cases the orphanage.
15 & 16. Father's Family Name, etc.: adoptive father's information or NA.
17 & 18. Mother's Family Name, etc.: adoptive mother's information.
23. List all educational institutions if the child is school age. Languages spoken or read: if talking, Russian and/or Kazakh, if an infant put NA.
25. List previous visits to the US: applicable only for children who have done a "summer" type program; you may not have the information, but I would think that they had to use a passport and the dates will be there.
26. Family Name: this is the child's new name.
27. Other Names Used: this is the child's birth name.
28. Full Name in Native Alphabet: ask your facilitator to write the new name in Cyrillic.
29. Name and Address of Petitioner: adoptive parent(s) names(s), address, and phone number.
30-32. All answers should be checked "No".
33a. Applied for Social Security Number: check "No". "Yes" to "Do you want the SSA to assign a SSN? and 33b. Consent to Disclosure.
34. Were you Assisted in Completing Application: "yes", adoptive parent name and address, "mother or father".
You must wait until the Embassy interview to sign the application. If you have any doubts about how to answer a question, leave it blank and they will help you.
You can view a sample filled out for a China adoption and download a copy of the form from the US State Department .