These are recommendations for making an "Emergency Card" to print out and take with you on your trip. In addition to this list, I have formatted pages that you can print onto your own card; see below.
Embassy address/phone/fax/after hours number. There is a list of the ones located in Almaty on the Expat site.
Adoption City: contact name, address and phone number; your local address and phone number; local address written in Cyrillic (so that you can show it to people in case you get lost); orphanage address and phone number; local medical clinic/hospital address and phone number, internet cafe address.
Almaty: contact name, address and phone number; your local address and phone number; local address written in Cyrillic (so that you can show it to people in case you get lost); orphanage address and phone number; local medical clinic/hospital address and phone number, internet cafe address.
Moscow (for citizens of countries that need to obtain a visa there): contact name, address and phone number; your local address and phone number; local address written in Cyrillic (so that you can show it to people in case you get lost); local medical clinic/hospital address and phone number, internet cafe address.
Adoption agency: address and phone number; name of your contact there and phone number; emergency number for agency.
Long distance company and/or calling card, access number; it is a good idea to have numbers for other long distance companies, in case you have a problem with yours (I ended up having to switch long distance companies while I was over there because I could not access mine there).
- AT& T: from Kazakhstan: 8^800-121-4321; from Moscow: 755-5042
- MCI: from Kazakhstan: 8^800-131-4321; from Moscow: 747-3322, 960-2222
Phone number for airlines, local and/or toll-free. Phone number for travel agent. For Almaty, the addresses and phone numbers are: (7272)
- Air Astana: 73 Gogol St., in the Otrar Hotel; 2588 202; airport 2506 850, 2506 856, 2506 546, 2506 835
- British Airways: 115 Abylai Khan @ Kabanbai batyr; 50-36-24, 50-36-28
- KLM: 73 Gogol and Kunaeva, in the Otrar Hotel; 509-183
- Lufthansa: in the Hyatt Regency, 50-50-52 or 50-50-61; in the Regent Almaty, 58-28-03, at Airport, 57-26-32 or 57-28-13
- Turkish Airlines: 100 Furmanova, 50-10-67; airport 57-45-70
- Transaero: 88 Aiteke bi @ Nauryzbai batyr, 63-95-06
Phone numbers for airlines in Astana: (7172):
- Air Astana: Astana Towers Business Center, Samal Microdistrict, 58-09-50
- KLM: Otrar Travel, Hotel Ishim, 8 Beibitshilik Street, (3172) 210-764
- Luftansa: (airport) 777-771
- Turkish Airlines: 777-020; airport 777-021, 777-881, 777-882
Phone numbers for airlines in other cities
- Air Astana
- Almaty call center is always open: (7272) 506850
- They have ticket offices in most major cities, go to Air Astana under "About Air Astana" to look for a phone number for your city.
- Moscow: in the Kazakhstan Embassy, (095) 2084923; in the airport (Sheremetyevo 1) 5781822
- Aktau: Otrar Travel, 8th microdistrict, building 39A, (7292) 512-986
- Atyrau: 3 Abai St., (7122) 355-345
Personal information: insurance, blood type, allergies to meds, height in centimeters, weight in kilograms
Personal emergency contacts at home.
Printing hints: Do not print "headers and footers". When you click on these links, they will open in a new window ; just close that window to come back to this page.
- Embassy in Cyrillic with phone number. Fits on a 3" x 5" card. Because it is a picture, you can print it without having a Cyrillic font on your computer. Use this at the airport if you have any problems with officials asking for bribes, which is illegal, or any time you have trouble. Please e-mail me if there is another country you would like to see. Please note that the new city code for Almaty is 7272 (not 3272 that is listed on the cards); I will get these corrected soon.
- Information Pages. If you would prefer to put it on a smaller card, or want to personalize the information, "select all" and then copy and paste it into your favorite word processor and format it to the desired size. If you are a resident of a country other than the US and will e-mail me the information for your country, I will create one for you, including the words for the Embassy in Cyrillic. These will fit on a 5" x 7" card, printing on both sides.
Page updated 4 October 2007.