On this page you will find thumbnails of various maps that I have found online. They link to the site that I found them on, which has the full size map. Several of these maps are found on different web sites; if possible, I have linked to the origining site, otherwise I have linked to the one with the best quality of picture. I have indicated information on the full-sized maps in pixels (557x291) as well as in MB (44K). I created the thumbnails to give you a general idea of what the original map looks like, and they are purposely of low quality to avoid copyright issues.
- Many of the websites that I list in the Kazakhstan Informational pages have maps.
- Perry Castañeda Library at the University of Texas. Massive collection of maps: Kazakhstan Maps , Former Soviet Republics , and the world. Political, relief, administrative divisions, ethnicities, industry, etc.
- National Geographic Map Machine
- UN Environment Program : administrative, rivers, climate zones, precipitation, temperature in January and July, biodiversity. Most of the maps are not in English.
- UN Cartography : This is a 140K PDF.
- Kokshetau Online : in Russian. Topographical, historic, regional.
- Wild Natures has maps covering: relief and transportation, economical and political regions, population density, yearly rainfall and evaporation, average temperature in July and January, major ethnic groups, and original vegetation zones. 1/2016 site gone
- ITMB: Kazakhstan (International Travel Maps and Books): "We started mapping the new Central Asian countries about five years ago. We had incredible difficulties with Kazakhstan. 90% of the place names changed after their breakaway from the former USSR, but nobody kept a list of the old versus new names coming into existence. Of course, they didn't all come into existence at the same time, but gradually, over a number of years. Of course, the maps had all been done in Russian, using the old names. We think we have all the current names now, thanks to the CIA, which was given the unenviable task of preparing geographical place names for countries around the world. Talk about a thankless job! Anyway, we now have a lovely, hopefully accurate, map of the largest of the Central Asian nation states, printed on ITM plastic paper, waterproof, double-sided, and indexed. Inset maps of: Almaty and Astana. Legend includes: All roads, tracks, railways, shipping routes, distances, National Parks, nature reserves, mosques, mineral springs, elevation info, points of interest." Published in 2006.
- Maptown has a large number of country, region, and aviation maps.
- Bing Maps interactive map, from world down to street level.
- Google maps goes to city level and Google Earth shows street level in some cities.
Page last updated on 2 January 2016.